At Town Dentistry, we are pleased to offer Sedation Dentistry options for patients that may be anxious, nervous or uncomfortable at the dentist office. Sedation can also decrease pain by increasing anesthetic effectiveness and decreasing tooth sensitivity.
Please note: Sedation dentistry is currently only available in our Johns Creek location.
Nitrous “Laughing Gas”
Are you nervous about going to the dentist? You don’t need to be nervous about coming to our practice. We offer dental sedation to relax our patients.
Also known as laughing gas, Nitrous is beneficial in calming a patient’s anxiety before a procedure. It is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe.
It is used primarily for its anesthetic and analgesic properties. It is a safe and effective gas that is inhaled by the patient. It is the most commonly used sedation technique in dentistry.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
- You can drive yourself home after your appointment!
Comprehensive Conscious IV Sedation (moderate)
Conscious IV Sedation is also known as “twilight sleep”. Our team are specialty trained to offer this type of sedation. It is particularly good for patients with strong gag reflexes, high dental anxiety or for those patients requiring multi-visit procedures that can be done in the same visit such as multiple crowns. IV Sedation is also used in most oral surgery procedures and requires more planning on the patient and doctor’s part. The patient will be groggy after the procedure and as such, will need a friend or family member to drive them home as well as monitor them for the next few hours.